Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Film about the Uchinanchu People



Hello Everyone, I'm posting today to share a film I received from the Secretariat of the 5th World Uchinanchu committee. He and his people produced this wonderful film to promote the festival and bring Understanding to their mission of networking the worlds Uchinanchu people.

In 2011 from October 12th to the 13th the Okinawan Government hosted the 5th Worldwide Uchinanchu Festival in Okinawa Japan. This has been in existence since 1990 and occurs every five years. Uchinanchu means a person of Okinawan lineage who had ancestors who emigrated to other countries for economic reasons. These Okinawans many times did not return to Okinawa and began to take on cultural characteristics of the countries where they had settled. This resulted in many uchinanchu who were born outside Okinawa that had lost cultural ties with their Okinawan culture. The Government of Okinawa during these world festivals welcomes home these uchinanchu people making them feel welcome and giving them opportunity to reconnect with their Okinawan heritage. They meet family members that are sometimes generations apart during their return visits. This film displays the massive undertaking the Okinawan government takes on and shows the Okinawans care about their people and preserving their cultural ties throughout the world. 


Please enjoy the film. The approximate run time is 42 minutes. All credit for this film is given to the secretariat and his committee who planned and organized this event and the production of this film to share with the world.


1 comment:

  1. Great work you're doing here, Tom. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete