Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicago Okinawa Shinnenkai Announcment

The Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai will hold their annual New Year's Party on March 19th at the Midwest Buddhist Temple in Chicago Illinois.



The Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai would like to invite everyone to partake in our annual New Year’s Celebration on March 19th, 2011. The party will be held at the Midwest Buddhist Temple which is located at 435 W Menomonee St. in Chicago. The event is one of the premier events each year for the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai and features many cultural performances and a show that is sure to thrill. There will be a potluck dinner, (everyone brings a dish) which usually includes both Okinawan foods and American favorites. Soft drinks, coffee, and tea will be provided free of charge and beer & cocktails will be available on a pay as you go basis. Don't miss out on this chance to mingle with friends and have some good times with people who take great pride in their Okinawan heritage. The party is free to our members and guests are $10. If you are a current officer serving with one of the other Okinawa Kenjinkais', and would like to attend, please email us and the fee will be waived. Hope we see you all there!



New Year’s Party Schedule


11:30 AM...................Doors Open


11:30AM to 12:30PM......Social Hour


12:30PM to 2:00PM...............Lunch


2:00PM to 5:00PM........Performance Program





No comments:

Post a Comment