Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Memories of Nights out in Okinawa

My blogger friend Kat posted a link the other day about the band Condition Green. That post brought back memories of a wonderful time as I experienced my 20's whilw living in Okinawa Japan. I remember going to see them on the corner of Gate two street and Moromi just outside Kadena Air Base. The band came up through the 1970's and some of them are still plaing today in a place on gate two street called Jack Nasty's. They put on a wonderful show and still attract young american GI's with their now classic Rock N Roll. Here are some videos and pictures for those of you who like myself were fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time.







<><><><><>
Yes that is Habu Sake he's Drinking


13 comments:

  1. Hey man, like the blog. I served on Okinawa from 2000-2003. During 9/11. Got some music based on all of that. My search for Katchan brought me here. Peace and stuff...
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, where is the "Special" Habu Sake? The one he makes with Habu Snake, Tarantulas, Scorpions, Centipedes, etc?

    And Dude, have you ever walked out to your car in Okinawa and gone to open the door and a giant Centipede falls out from under the door handle? Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was stationed at Kadena AB from 4/71 to 10/72. I have photos of Condition Green taken in 1972 on the Facebook Page: Kadena Air Base Alumni in an album from 1972. I used to go to BC street and watch them at a club called the New Star. I also have a photo of the New Star in that album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at Kadena 12/71 to 4/72. Probably ran into you. First stop on Gate 2 was the Rondevnous Bar/Restraunt for a burger or fried rice...then....

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    I was searching condition green and came across your web site. I was in Okinawa in 1980 and remembered seeing the Buckinghams play. Condition Green played at a bar that seemed like an old movie theater with the bar being in the back where you came in. Incredibly loud band, they played all of the rock hits of the time and I know they played at other venues on the "rock". I won't ever forget them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello All! I was in a band of 3 middle school kids that used to play at the "Filmore East" off gate 2 street ( that club changed names many times before that though I was told ), I was 12 and the other guys were 13. They allowed us to play on their breaks on the weekends. It was the first stage I ever played on...great times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a Marine working on Kadena AB 86-89. Great experience. My kids were very young but my oldest remembers some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn...I was just listening to "Free Bird" and it brought back "Condition Green" memories. I was a Marine, (Military Police - Camp Butler) 1977-1978, BC Street was "The" place and "Condition Green" was "The" band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was in the PI durring that time but did 75 days at Kadena helping do engine repairs on the J79. Saw Condition Green with a friend that was stationed at Kadena. I loved the part where one of the band members would ride on the others shoulders and play.

      Delete
  8. I was in Oki from 10/80 to 10/82. I worked at the Roaring 20s with Condition Green. I was lucky enough to get to know Sammy, Kachan, Eddie and Itzu. I have toured the island with them, worked some of the festivals and played on stage with them. They taught me about Okinawan culture and customs. What great memories they gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was on the Rock from 4-83 to 4-84 and my favorite times were seeing Condition Green either at our E-Club on Futenma (best night was my 21st birthday when they were there) to the concert at Seragaki Beach in 83. I had seen them in their cub with the walls were painted red on Gate 2 Street. Thanks for posting about this. :cheers:

    ReplyDelete
  10. i too was at futenma and remmember when they played but the best concert on futenma was cheap trick pablo cruise and the doobie brothers at the base theatre anyone member

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was stationed at Camp Foster in 1986. Anyone remember a rock and roll museum with Elvis stuff?. I traveled a lot with the corps so I am not 100% it was in Okinawa

    ReplyDelete