Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Okinawa Has Waterspouts?

Today I opened my Browser to find a story on the Yahoo mainpage about waterspouts that occurred on the 21st in Yomitan Okinawa. A photographer captured this picture of the spout.


Here is the story as taken from the Japan Update Web Site.

Waterspout Shows Power Off Yomitan Coast
A thunderstorm sweeping across Okinawa’s west-central coast Wednesday afternoon provided an impressive exhibition for those looking to the water near Yomitan. A waterspout wound its way down from the dark storm cells, dancing its way along the water and approaching within a few hundred meters of the coastline. Fair weather waterspouts formed over water due to warm temperatures and high humidity are generally not as dangerous as tornadic waterspouts that continue over land. Photo by Jeremy Goins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked online for references to waterspouts occurring in Okinawa and found that while rare they are not uncommon in the watm waters around Okinawa.
Here is a short video of one near Henoko.

 
A waterspout is an intense columnar vortex (usually appearing as a funnel-shaped cloud) that occurs over a body of water and is connected to a cumuliform cloud. In the common form, it is a non-supercell tornado over water. While it is often weaker than most of its land counterparts, stronger versions spawned by mesocyclones do occur. Waterspouts do not suck up water, the water seen in the main funnel cloud is actually water droplets formed by condensation. While many waterspouts form in the tropics, locations at higher latitude within temperate zones also report waterspouts, such as Europe and the Great Lakes. Although rare, waterspouts have been observed in connection with lake-effect snow precipitation bands. Waterspouts have a five-part life cycle: formation of a dark spot on the water surface, spiral pattern on the water surface, formation of a spray ring, development of the visible condensation funnel, and ultimately decay.


2 comments:

  1. I like the helpful information you supply to your
    articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am slightly certain I'll be told many new stuff right
    here! Good luck for the next!

    Here is my page hair arrived

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the most vital info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things,
    The site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

    Also visit my website; barber chairs

    ReplyDelete