Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Strange Motivations Lead to Healthy Eating

Have you ever had a feeling that there are things on this earth that are beyond our control? For instance, I frequently wake up in the middle of the night and glance at my large, red, illuminated, digital alarm clock and find all of the numbers to be the same. (For instance 1:11 am or 3:33 am) This doesn't just happen to me in the night time either it happens to me in the day time when I am not even thinking about it. They frequency of it occurring makes me think there must be something to it.

Now, as many of you are aware, I started off the year following the Okinawa diet pyramid and lost 24 pounds. Well for the last month or so I have been not following it so closely and while I have not put the weight back on I was thinking about getting more strict with myself once again in regards to the diet. Now one of those strange occurrences in life has happened to me once again. This time I went out for tacos with my daughter at a local establishment here in my home town. We ordered our food and a drink to go along with it and went to our table to wait. I bought a diet Snapple tea and was thinking about getting back on track with the diet in my head as I looked at the label on the bottle checking the nutritional stats on the label. It was at this time that I noticed the cap had writing in it so I thought it must be a joke or fun fact like you sometimes find under beverage caps. When I looked though I was floored by what I saw. It was a "Real Fact" #696 and said: With an average life expectancy of 81.2 years, the people of Okinawa, Japan live the longest.
I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean what are the odds that I would get that particular cap here in the middle of the United States at a time when I was contemplating getting back on track while waiting for my greasy tacos to come. It's weird.

I did enjoy the tacos but have now took the hint and I'm back on-track. It's perfect timing as the garden has really been coming in nicely and I was able to make a real nice stir-fry with miso flavoring from my pickings. The weather is now hot with frequent showers so the Goya we planted from seeds has really been doing well. Here are a few garden pictures for you to see.
Japanese Eggplant (Nasu)
Japanese Cucumbers
Flowers to bring in the Bees

From Purlpe Bells to Pink Puffs
The Goya Climbing
Reaching for the Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment