Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Kay Makishi in Okinawa

Today I just wanted to let everyone know about a friend of mine that is currently attending Ryukyu University in Okinawa. Her name is Kay Makishi and she has a blog about her experiences.

This blog is a record of my journeys. This is what she writes about herself - I hold two decades + of life experience as a second generation Okinawan. I was born and raised in Hershey, PA (yes, like the chocolate) and finished my undergrad at Penn State. I am passionate about service to humanity with numerous goals and am developing the necessary experience to accomplish those goals day-by-day. I welcome adversity with open arms; because to me, anything worth achieving is never easy.

This girl is a truely amazing person and I would like everyone to take a little bit of time to check out her blog. She is reconnecting with her Okinawan heritage and is growing in a way that everyone should see.

This is a video she posted followed by the link to her site...Enjoy!



Kay's Blog

4 comments:

  1. On this site because I have concerns about the earthquake in Japan. Commented to Kay's site,too. I am Okinawan. My father was a Marine. He passed last year.He lived in Hazelhurst, Wi. I have family there in Okinawa and Tokyo. My mom lives in Missouri and offers very little of our family. Was there when I was 13 years. Loved it! My girls did a report for school last year and got little info and pictures from my mom but we know we have a large family. My mom's name is Kimiko Makishi. Makishi is familiar so my daughters having hard time understanding more. Wish we could go there. Don't know where to start. Really hope everone is safe and blessings to them always. Thanks for this. Inside I was always proud to be what I am and now maybe outside my girls and I could be even prouder. Thank-you, Souzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never be ashamed of who you are or where you came from. You may be related to Kay. She comes back to the US soon maybe she will contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be my older sister posting up there. She is correct. I have a complete list of my Mother's family with me always. I've tried tirelessly through social media to contact anyone that may be related to her. She has written many letters over the years but had stopped receiving responses in the last 5 years. If financially it was easier I would have loved to take a trip back there with her. I remember some moments as a 7yr old so vividly, as if I were still there. I hope to see a comment from someone regarding so. Carol K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol and Souzi,
    Sorry this response is coming so late. I only recently came across it. Souzi - I hope your girls are discovering more of what it means to be Uchinanchuu (Okinawan) - our culture is so rich and we are so blessed. If you would like to contact me, feel free to send me an email to makishiCIR@gmail.com anytime.
    Best,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete