Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Friday, April 2, 2010

There is no way that daily entries are going to work!

So in the beginning it sounded like a pretty good idea to set up a sort of schedule and post specific topics on specific days. The reality of the task however has now sunk in so the list of daily topics has now been removed. I will now be posting as subject material comes to me and I'm not going to stress over trying to produce content on a daily basis. After all it's not the Okinawan way to stress over things that will eventually come to fruition.

The blog has become a great way of getting out information about Okinawa to the people of the world. Many people have contacted me as a result of my efforts. Yesterday as a matter of fact I was contacted by a fellow named John Potter who asked if I could mention his website and blog in my posts. I went to the link that John provided and was extremely impressed with his credentials.

Here is his profile from his website. 
John Potter is from Norwich, England but has lived in Japan since 1984, first in Kobe and then in Mie Prefecture where he was professor at Kogakkan University. He contributes music features to magazines in Japan and the UK, and has also published articles on literature and education as well as a book on Summerhill School.

He first listened to Okinawan music in the late 1980s and this discovery led to an interest in the islands’ music and to roots music worldwide. He began making regular trips to the Ryukyu Islands and travelled extensively in Okinawa, Miyako and Yaeyama, listening to and meeting many of the musicians there. He accompanied Shoukichi Kina and his band on a visit to England, and has also collaborated on song translations for the singer Yasukatsu Oshima and for the Japanese band Soul Flower Union.

In 2009 the lure of island music finally proved too much and he took early retirement from his university in order to move to Okinawa. When not listening to music he enjoys reading novels, watching films and football, and walking on the beach. John is married to Midori and they have a son, Akira.


Upon investigating John's web site I was quite impressed with what I found there. I would highly recommend that you visit John's website by clicking on the link that I have provided on the upper right hand side of this page in the lnks box. John's site is called The Power of Okinawa roots music from the Ryukyus. It appears from my visit that John knows quite a few okinawan musicians and writes some outstanding articles about his experiences around the Okinawan Music Scene.

Keep up the good work John! I hope we can meet sometime when I'm in Okinawa!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club Tom. I could have told you daily posts would have been too much but, such a journey is best when experienced first hand. Still, I enjoy your work, keep it up, just pace yourself!

    By the way, I hope you don't mind that I've been posting your stuff on my GoyaRepublic E-zine at http://goyrepublicezine.blogspot.com/ and directing readers toward your site. I just put out a headline and a teaser with a link back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith, No problem using my material.

    ReplyDelete