Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The O.G.'s Band Performing Live in Okinawa - Chibariyo!

This is a video of a band called the O.G.'s band. In the video thay are performing live Al's Place, in Okinawa Japan. I found this band by invitation in my Youtube inbox. I hadn't looked at it in some time and discovered this had been sent back in October of 2009. I am very impressed with this band and felt their music hold particular significance to the uchinanchu people. Therefore here they are on the Okinawaology Blog.

This video is of their first original song, 'CHIBARIYO' which roughly translated means 'hang in there', 'good luck', or 'do your best' in the Uchina Guchi the original Ryukyu dialect. I like the name of the band too and wonder if it's a play on words as three older men compose the band and Ojii in Japanese means old man.



The Lyrics for Chibariyo were written by Roy Helvenstine Jr..
The Music was composed by Roy Helvenstine Jr. & Don Paul Jankas

Let's hear back from everyone to let the band know what you think of them. Please visit their web site to hear more also I will place a link on my blog links soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom, it is Roy from the OGs. Thanks for the kind words about the band. You are correct about the play on words for the band name. We also say it stands for "Okinawan Gaijin" as well. We have added another song/video on our YouTube called "Okinawa Nights." If you don't mind, I want to link your website on our music sites (MySpace, YouTube, and Reverbnation.) If you want to correspond directly sen to TheOGsband@gmail.com. Thanks, Roy

    ReplyDelete