Pages

Hai Sai! Welcome to my Blog.

Hello, my name is Tom Corrao and I am the blogger behind the Okinawaology Blog. I created this blog to share and discuss all things Okinawan. I’m also the Public Relations Officer and Minkan Taishi to the Chicago Okinawa Kenjinkai. My experience with Okinawa is derived from the time I spent there during the 1980's and 90's (10 years) when serving in the United States Air Force. I've also been married to an Okinawan woman for 30 years now and have been immersed in many things Okinawan through both friends and family. I do not claim to be all knowing about everything Okinawan but I try hard and study the history and culture. I welcome everyone that is interested in Okinawa and hope that I can provide useful information to those uchinanchu that may be curious about their culture and heritage. I also welcome those who are not of Okinawan heritage but have experienced, or are experiencing, the islands culture while stationed there with the United States Military. Comments are welcomed and will be published as long as they are in good taste and on track with the purpose of this blog. My hope with this blog is to bring Uchinanchu people around the world a little closer to their cultural roots by expressing information that has started to fade in light of a more modern world. We should never forget our culture or the people who came before us and through the Blog my intentions are to meld the old with the new and implant knowledge that will help maintain the traditions and culture of an island people.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Traditional Culture Being Preserved Through Modern Perspectives of Okinawan Heritage.

I just love the Children's Group Hanayakara from Okinawa. This multi-talented group is comprised of young girls ranging in age from 6 to 18. Based in Okinawa, their energy and skill level is simply amazing. I am always inspired after watching them perform. This video is but a small glimpse of their great repertoire of traditional performances. In this perticular video they are performing Kunjansabakui.

The girls of Hanayakara are so cute and talented that they could be thought of as the Okinawan version of the popular Japanese group Morning Musume. My wife and I were able to see them perform Live at the 25th Okinawa Festival in Honolulu in 2007. I felt a very strong connection to what they were accomplishing through their performance. Through their efforts they are able to interest old and young people alike and promote the preservation of Okinawan culture through a more modern performance. My hope for the future is that they would someday perform in the Chicago area and inspire others around us to participate in preserving the Okinawan culture. Young blood is what is need to keep Okinawan heritage alive in the hearts of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment